Saturday, September 06, 2008

Thoughts On Palin as VP Candidate

[Update 16:10 6/9/08]
Someone seems to have done rather more research on Sarah Palin than I have had time to do.
[/Update]

I've been fairly silent on the whole electoral process in the US, but the brouhaha over Sara Palin's selection as McCain's VP deserves a bit of comment.

First off, McCain made an interesting selection in picking Sarah Palin as his running mate. No matter what I think of her politics and track record, I have to say that there is a certain tactical brilliance to his choice of Palin. For all that McCain is about as photogenic as a warthog, Palin is someone that the camera likes. I would not be even a little surprised if McCain steps back in his campaign somewhat to allow Palin to become the 'face' of his presidential bid.

I am disgusted by the almost immediate attacks on Palin based on the fact that her 17 year old daughter is pregnant. It's one thing to attack Palin on her politics and her stated stands on things, it's quite another to go after her because of her daughter's pregnancy. That is vicious, hurtful to her daughter and generally uncalled for.

What needs to be examined and critiqued is just what does Palin represent? It's fairly well known that she is a social conservative, and has argued for creationism to be taught.

Similarly, I am not impressed by the "bad mother" arguments either. It strikes me that those claims are sloppy, ill considered personal attacks based on supposition.

Is it possible, or likely, that McCain selected Palin with the notion that she might attract female voters? (especially disappointed Hillary Clinton supporters) I suppose it is possible, but that requires a lot of knowledge about McCain that I simply don't have. Again, I think such criticisms of the McCain/Palin ticket are spurious until there is some evidence to back them up.

Personally, I think that McCain himself would be disastrous simply for the reason that he would continue to propagate much of what Bush II has set in motion. It would be a continuation of a bad government.

No comments:

Collective Punishment

Ever since Pierre Poilievre opened his mouth and declared that Trans Women need to be banned from washrooms and locker rooms , there's b...