Saturday, January 07, 2006

I must be psychic or something

Back Here, I started writing a bit of an essay series on what I expect to be a resurrection of a debate we've already been through in Canada.

In my travels through the various web news services this evening, I find this article, where Elsie Wayne has resurfaced.

"Look at the future for our young people, for heaven's sake. What kind of message are we sending to them? It's no wonder (U.S. President) George Bush doesn't want to do business with Canada anymore. I don't blame him. At least he has moral standards."


Let's just consider Mr. Bush's "moral standards" for a moment:

- A don't ask, don't tell policy for the military that tacitly approves what happened to this soldier

- A "moral standard" that justifies an illegal spying program on US civilians

- Repeated changing of the story for invading Iraq that can only be loosely called "stretching the truth".

- Promoting an absolute farce of science as something students should have to learn.

- Holding people in secret prisons, indefinite detention without charge (e.g. Jose Padilla), Abu Ghraib.

Yes, he has "moral standards" all right, yep, uh-huh. Somehow, in light of Bush's "moral standards" - which seem to involve an awful lot of lying, I don't think I'll get too wound up about a few couples that want to live their lives honestly violating Ms. Wayne's sense of "moral standards".

No comments:

Collective Punishment

Ever since Pierre Poilievre opened his mouth and declared that Trans Women need to be banned from washrooms and locker rooms , there's b...