Monday, November 05, 2007

Making My Point For Me...

I don't know who the scumbag is that perpetrated this assault, and I can think of a dozen consequences I'd like them to face, it also underscores some of the points I was raising yesterday in my diatribe about so-called pro-life positions.

I hope for her sake that the victim of yesterday's attack isn't pregnant as a result of whatever was done. However, I believe absolutely that she has a legitimate right to decide if that hypothetical pregnancy goes forward or not. If that means an abortion, so be it.

Pro-Lifers will argue that the unborn child is being punished for the sins of the father. I'm sorry, but that's absolute crap. Being a parent requires emotional strength and fortitude - I cannot even begin to imagine how I would feel raising a child - or even giving birth to one - that was a result of something as heinous as what happened yesterday. The word resentful comes to mind as a starting point, but I can imagine a gamut of emotional states that would be unhealthy for all parties involved. Additionally, given the biological cost to the woman (besides healing from the ravages of assault) exacted by being pregnant is huge. Why should she pay that price because some violent low-life happened to attack her at the right time?

The propensity for some men to use their relatively greater strength to violently get their way with a woman is reason enough to ensure that women have access to safe abortion. Otherwise, we tacitly condone violence against women - as long as it gets them pregnant. (*shudder* - what an evil world that could be!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One small symbolic thing I like to do when referring to the "pro-life" position is to call it what it is -- anti-choice. "Pro-life" is how they want to be known, but as you know, that is more about propaganda than accuracy. So for me, they are always "anti-choice." And I am pro-choice. Not pro-abortion (no one is pro-abortion), just pro-choice.

MgS said...

I've always liked the phrase "forced birth" for that faction.

If you haven't read Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", it's well worth the read - if somewhat chilling in its implications.

The Cass Review and the WPATH SOC

The Cass Review draws some astonishing conclusions about the WPATH Standards of Care (SOC) . More or less, the basic upshot of the Cass Rev...