Saturday, December 02, 2006

Stephan Dion New Liberal Leader

I know relatively little about Stephan Dion at the moment - I've deliberately sat back and waited to see what the candidates have had to say during the campaign. My impression is that he is an intelligent man, with a good sense of reason and debate.

I hope that the Liberals are able to coalesce around their new leader quickly. Given the state of the current government, there isn't time for infighting and other luxuries that require time.

Intriguingly, CanWest Global has commissioned a new poll that shows that none of the candidate leaders for the Liberals could win an election against Stephen Harper.

While I don't necessarily have a problem with Ipsos-Reid polling, we've had enough pro-Conservative propaganda being spun out of the CanWest organization that I'm going to remain skeptical about the poll. The last piece of push polling was commissioned by CanWest, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if this poll also suffers from some question bias problems.

But then again, it doesn't matter what a poll says today - the real question is what will a poll say in the early spring?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Recent polls show the Conservatives tied with the leaderless Liberals. This poll, if accurate, implies the Liberals would actually lose popularity by having a leader, any leader. I find that very hard to believe.

MgS said...

This poll, if accurate, implies the Liberals would actually lose popularity by having a leader

Which is why I am suspicious that this is another push poll from the Tories.

Let’s Talk About Data Quality For a Moment

The recently released Cass Review Final Report  (Cass Review) has criticized the absence of “high quality evidence” supporting the use of pu...