Monday, February 11, 2008

Rumours From The Alberta Campaign Trail

If I didn't already think that the PC's have been in power in Alberta far longer than they have any right to be, some of what I've been hearing indirectly coming in from various campaigns in Calgary would convince me.

It's fear. We aren't talking about candidates being afraid of anything, but rather individual voters and small business owners are reluctant to "piss off" some long-term MLAs who a running for re-election. By "piss off", I mean even doing something as simple as openly supporting another candidate.

Why the fear? Because there is a perception that the candidate will try to retaliate by acting in a hostile fashion towards those who backed their opponents in this election.

More germane is the amount of peer pressure that exists. There are a lot of people out there who won't allow a campaign sign to be put on their lawn because they are worried about how "others" will react - especially if it isn't "conservative enough".

The fact that there is a perception that retaliation could occur, or even that sign vandalism occurs more frequently for certain parties, is a sign of a serious problem in Alberta. A healthy democracy has a great deal of room in it for all sorts of viewpoints. When only one becomes "acceptable" in the public discourse, it is no longer a healthy democracy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does Craig Chandler think about this?

MgS said...

No idea - I don't speak for the man. I would imagine that he would see it as being to his advantage, though.

Anonymous said...

This post is pretty much all - as you say - rumour. Hardly your best piece.

Take a look on the streets. There are signs for all candidates (those that have signs, that is).

Having doorknocked for a couple of PCs this election, i've seen firsthand a healthy amount of fear the other way, as in "my neighbour is a real Liberal, so you've got my vote, but I can't/won't take a sign". This is particularly prevalent in some ridings where the Liberal is the incumbent, but not exclusively.

MgS said...

Doesn't that tell you that something is VERY, VERY out of whack in this province?

When electoral campaigns are riddled with people afraid of their neighbor's opinions, how is that fostering any kind of healthy dialogue?

Think on it for a while, it'll come to you...

Anonymous said...

I have both door knocked and phoned for candidates, and all too often when they indicate they are supporting my candidate, and asked if they want a sign, the answer is negative. They are worried about what their neighbours think. Their political beliefs are held private because they do not want to go against the tide.

And the humour is not lost on me when I see their neighbours saying the same thing.

As a small business owner in Calgary, I can certainly appreciate this - I will not come forth and state my political views in business as it can be detrimental to my business. In my professional capacity I have to remain silent in my political views.

Remember, this is the province where historically...

If you say you are a conservative, nobody blinks.

If you say you are a liberal, people look at you strangely and react negatively. It's not a good thing for your continued business relationship with them.

If you say you are an NDP, people look at you with pity.

If you say you are a Green, people shrug.

But it is changing - it seems no longer as shameful to be a {gasp} Liberal. We can come forth out of the closet and be worried about less censure of our beliefs.

What happened to free speech? The ability to speak out for our own beliefs and stand by them without fear? Why are there so many closet Liberals? When can we stand proud and share our beliefs?

Yes, my lawn proudly sports a red and white sign. And yes, I put that sign back up regularly after the local oppressors of free speech have gone past my house.

I am a Liberal - and am proud to see that my province is likely to share my views this election. It's time!

The Cass Review and the WPATH SOC

The Cass Review draws some astonishing conclusions about the WPATH Standards of Care (SOC) . More or less, the basic upshot of the Cass Rev...