Last night, Bill C-38 passed through the House of Commons.
The vote was relatively close (158-133) - although the margin was actually quite a bit wider than I had anticipated. I was happy to see more than a 1 seat difference in the vote as we had with the first Budget bill.
The version that the committee process returned to the house substantially expanded the wording of intent in section 3 of the document to reinforce and clarify the role of Charter Section 2 freedoms with respect to the notion of Civil Marriage.
While I'm hardly fool enough to believe that the debate will go away overnight, I hope that we can have a few weeks of relative peace and quiet while Parliament is recessed for the summer. Summer is a short season in much of Canada, and I sense a degree of exhaustion both in the public and our politicians.
A progressive voice shining light into the darkness of regressive politics. Pretty much anything will be fair game, and little will be held sacred.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Honest Conservative is an Oxymoron in Canada
Way back in the 90s, Preston Manning admonished Reform party candidates as follows: " Don't tell voters what you really believe, ...
-
Running around the internet, and speaking in various venues is a somewhat rare creature by the name of Walt Heyer who claims to be an ...
-
I woke up this morning to CBC's Jason Markusoff and The Toronto Star's Richard Warnica talking about Alberta separatism on the Front...
-
The CPC is polling just a hair below 30% , and Pierre Poilievre's "favourability" as next PM is now tied with "Undecided...
1 comment:
Ya gotta admit the last two weeks in the house have been rather exciting!
Post a Comment