Sunday, March 27, 2005

The Politicization of Religion

The following is a quote left on this blog by another reader:

Power is amazing corrupter. Agreed. I recall that one guy got killed about 2000 years ago cuz he was talkin nice about everyone. The people in charge didn't dig it.

I find politics in the church a bit ridiculous, but there is something we all gotta get down with: It is the institutions that have made it so ugly - the big guy isn't a real-estate agent for the middle east, or a talkin head on CBSFOXABCPBS.

Just for kicks, take a moment to seperate your perceptions of this "god' thing from those of us that are screwing it up so badly.



The first thought that I had was WTF? Until I sat back and thought about it a little bit.

First of all, the underlying point of my commentary was that as religions codify their beliefs into absolute terms, they are guaranteed to fracture themselves as different factions emerge.

Second, in the Middle East, it's fairly apparent that religious bodies hold significant sway in the political arena; and more recently the Evangelical Christians have gained significant political sway in the United States.

The issue isn't my personal perceptions or beliefs with respect to the notion of "God". The fact is that my personal notion of "God" is likely to differ substantially from George Bush's, the Pope or just about anyone else.

The issue that I was addressing, and will continue to address, is the ongoing attempts of various religious institutions to impose their particular view of the universe on the peoples of a country. I was very troubled when George Bush referred to the pursuit of those who planned and sponsored 9/11/2001 as a "Crusade". I don't believe that was a "slip of the tongue", but really is reflected in the ongoing foreign policy of the Bush administration.

In countries like Canada and the United States which have the concept of "Freedom of Religion" embedded in their legal foundations, religion driving legislation is very worrisome. Freedom _of_ Religion also includes Freedom _FROM_ Religion - that is to say not only do you have the right to believe as you wish, but similarly, I have the freedom to believe otherwise. This creates a serious tension legislatively. Legislation must be codified in such a manner that it reflects rational consideration of the topic in a manner that is fundamentally secular. (Please note, that secularism does not preclude morality, but rather requires one to ask if the morality of an act is reflected in the notion of harm to individuals or society)

1 comment:

Bravo said...

All smiles tonite! I confess to expecting a GREAT BIG WTF from you, but was way impressed with your well thought out answer. Thanks.

I dig what's getting laid down here, because politics is actually less important to me than the same personal values and ethics you mention - common ground? You and I agree, it seems, on Schaivo; can our reactions be based on similar individual and societal values?

I get more hammering from the christian right on my blog than you might expect, considering we 'agree' on god. I am thrilled to see such intelligent stuff here. Keep it up - I'll be around...

TJ Bravo
http://tjbravo.blogspot.com

Let’s Talk About Data Quality For a Moment

The recently released Cass Review Final Report  (Cass Review) has criticized the absence of “high quality evidence” supporting the use of pu...