Friday, May 20, 2005

A Sigh of Relief

Last night's second reading vote on the bills C-43 and C-48 is far from the last we'll hear about this budget. It now goes to committee where I fully expect the Opposition parties to continue to try to block it at every step.

Why do I say I'm relieved? Because, like most Canadians, I'm suffering from a bit of electoral fatigue. I've had to assess candidates and platforms in 3 elections this past year; and residents of one part of my city had 4 elections after electoral fraud was found during the ballot counting process. Another trip to the polls - with the requisite stupidity that seems to accompany campaigns these days - was not high on my list of "ways I'd like to enjoy my summer".

In fact, a summer vote is guaranteed to be the best time to achieve record low voter turnouts anyways. Most people are far more interested in "sunshine-and-barbeques" than listening to our politicians. (I know I am!)

Once Parliament breaks for the summer, it will be time for all of the parties to reflect upon their respective performances. (And hopefully, pull themselve out of the collective sewer that they seem to be floating in)

As previous posts should have made clear, I am particularly disgusted with Mr. Harper's performance - which has been so badly acted that I think he must be getting acting tips from William Shatner. Duceppe isn't far behind in my books, and Martin's "hang-dog" routine needs to go too. In fact, the only leader on Parliament that's actually shown leadership has been the NDP's Jack Layton. (Whether or not you agree with his amendments to the budget, you have to admire his ability and willingness to seize the moment to advance his position)

Mr. Harper, and his inner circle of advisors need to take their blinkers off. What plays well in their home province of Alberta doesn't necessarily play so well in the rest of Canada. Alberta is wierd beast on the political scene, and politicians from that province need to realize that the rest of the country is wary about it. The most radical of statements can be made with virtual impunity in Alberta - as long as the speaker is running under the Conservative banner. That doesn't make Alberta a great place to cultivate national leadership from. The last one we produced was Joe Clark - and for all that I like Joe Clark, I can't say he was all that successful as a parliamentary leader. (Hell of good Parliamentarian, but not so much a compelling leader...) As one comment made earlier on this BLOG pointed out, a Conservative in Alberta needs the political acumen of a garden slug.

Razor-thin as this vote was, I don't think it was victory for any side, so much as for the voters of this country. The reason we have a minority government is because the overall consensus at the polls was "none-of-the-above". While I think some politicians have figured this out, others have not. This summer would be a good time for them to do some homework and figure out why that might be the case.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least he HAS been getting acting tips...

As I listened to CBC at oh-dark-early I wasn't too sure if Harper had seen his shadow, or a groundhog had done the "confidence-vote-two step" predicting six more weeks of deception and political manouvering. Then, I realized that it was essentially the same thing.

Collective Punishment

Ever since Pierre Poilievre opened his mouth and declared that Trans Women need to be banned from washrooms and locker rooms , there's b...