It would seem that the groundhog saw his shadow when he poked up yesterday, and the world is doomed to another four years of mindless violence and pointless wars. Why? Just as leopards don't change their spots, I don't really expect GWB to change his blundering approach to foreign policy.
As I drove into work this morning, I found myself wondering why Kerry lost - it wasn't by a lot, so you can't assert that it was a "flip-flopper" message, nor do I think he "alienated" the voters by speaking too loftily.
My thought is that unlike Bush, who was eminently consistent in his message (like it or not), and was able to repeat it constantly in the face of both opposition, and supporters, the Kerry campaign seemed to flail around for a bit, and changed both direction and message a few times.
If Kerry had come out with a simple message like "You were lied to", and hammered at it constantly, he might have come out ahead in a few of the so-called swing states. I suspect that the inconsistent messages (and a less than definite plan for extricating America from Iraq) played against Kerry's overall success.
On the whole, I think Kerry did quite well, especially considering that he was far from the strongest candidate that the Democrats could have put forward.
A progressive voice shining light into the darkness of regressive politics. Pretty much anything will be fair game, and little will be held sacred.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Honest Conservative is an Oxymoron in Canada
Way back in the 90s, Preston Manning admonished Reform party candidates as follows: " Don't tell voters what you really believe, ...
-
Running around the internet, and speaking in various venues is a somewhat rare creature by the name of Walt Heyer who claims to be an ...
-
I woke up this morning to CBC's Jason Markusoff and The Toronto Star's Richard Warnica talking about Alberta separatism on the Front...
-
The CPC is polling just a hair below 30% , and Pierre Poilievre's "favourability" as next PM is now tied with "Undecided...
3 comments:
So just WHAT is your weather forecast for the Alberta Election? Will Klein see his shadow, or will he only see his grave?
I'm afraid that he'll see his shadow alright...
But the real quetion remains... Just WHERE will the shadow be cast? In his mother's grave, or the grave of all Albertans?
Post a Comment