Wednesday, June 30, 2004

So the next battle begins

Two days after Canada elects a new government, Alberta Premier Ralph Klein opens his flap on Medicare.

So...he wants to experiment with "Private" medicare delivery. "It's just a trial" they say - I don't believe that for a moment.

The mantra is that the Health Care system as it exists is "unsustainable". Where's the numbers to back this allegation up? What makes it "unsustainable"??? I keep hearing the government bleating about the money they have to spend on Health, meanwhile, they pull in nearly $5 Billion in surplus revenues this year. Something doesn't make sense here.

I agree that the private enterprise company _can_ be more efficient in certain circumstances. However, where Health Care is concerned, there is an inherent conflict between the obligation to provide care and the profit motive. How is it that my health should take precedence just because I have money? I don't mind my tax dollars paying for health care - as long as it goes for _good_ things like health care.

What I want to see are answers to the following questions:

1. Why is the Health Care System "Unsustainable"?

To date, all that people do is throw around the raw dollar figures and complain that it's "too much money", but nobody puts it into context and perspective. If it's 4.5 Billion/year to operate a health care system in Alberta, let's put the number on the table. Then show me how it cannot be "sustained" on the current revenues of the Alberta Government!

2. Where are the protections to ensure that all citizens of our province receive care when needed?

3. Deductibles, user pay?

Let's see - I see my doctor how often? Oh yes - about once a year unless he's treating a specific condition that requires follow-up. Am I abusing the system? I don't think so.

4. Increased Premiums?

Last I checked, premiums are another word for tax. Let's call them that and be honest. If you want to increase the tax burden I bear to pay for this service, that's fine; however, once again, I want to know where the protections are being put in place to ensure that those on the economic margins are looked after.

5. Private Delivery of Services?

Okay - you want to make service delivery more "efficient" by allowing it to be managed by private enterprises. Where are the checks and balances going to exist to _guarantee_ that these companies don't profit excessively from people's health care needs? Where are the checks and balances to guarantee that needed care is delivered, regardless of economic circumstances of the patient?

No system is perfect, I realize that. However, if you are going to propose these kinds of changes, Mr. Premier, I demand that you demonstrate both the necessity of those changes, and that measures are being designed into place to ensure that not only the wealthiest of our society are cared for properly, but that all members of our society are cared for.

My personal guess is that Ralph Klein knows that his political days are numbered, and he is desperate to pay back some political debts that have been accumulating since his first run at the Premier's chair.

No comments:

The Cass Review and the WPATH SOC

The Cass Review draws some astonishing conclusions about the WPATH Standards of Care (SOC) . More or less, the basic upshot of the Cass Rev...